The Greater Moncton SPCA is the largest animal shelter east of Montreal, taking in more than 3,000 animals every year.
Our Mission Statement
To promote animal care and prevent animal cruelty through sheltering, placement, and education.
The Moncton Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) was formed in 1955 by a small group of concerned citizens (led by Constance Hoover). In 1956, the organization was officially incorporated as SPCA (Moncton) Inc.
Mrs. Hoover and her mother had the shelter built, and added to the building over the years as more and more animals needed a place to go. For many years, Mrs. Hoover ran the SPCA with the help of a few dear friends. During that time, the work was done by volunteers; as funds became available, they hired staff.
In recognition of Mrs. Hoover’s many years of dedicated service, the GMSPCA shelter facility is known as the Hoover Animal Shelter.
Today, the GMSPCA delivers service under the provincial Animal Protection Act, which is not duplicated by any other agency in the Greater Moncton area. We provide care for sick, injured, homeless, lost, and unwanted animals.